Not many know, but have come across the term “Spyware” at least once. Unlike any standard software, Spyware poses a greater threat to the device. It has no positive effect on the device and on the other hand it gets devised to Spy a smartphone, laptop or any device and extract information. People hardly realize that these softwares are in fact commercially available (shocking ehh?), and it is illicit for anybody to install a spyware on your smartphone or any device and spy on you.
Perhaps this technology is very much ‘in’ these days, and many parents and other individuals are sole target of these spywares so that they could use this software in order to monitor their kid’s cell phone activities. While this is perfectly legal and justified for the parents, what rings the bells is that if this software is used for totally opposite ‘thang? For teen monitoring, these apps are just perfect! We shouldn’t forget we were teens once *wink*.
There is an abundance of such apps which let you monitor your child’s online activities, especially cell phone activities. Different apps offer different features, and it really comes down to your monitoring needs. You could either check on’em by their physical location, or read their SMS’s, view the images or videos, check the calls they made and what kind of websites they visit. These apps provide maximum range of satisfaction, and most importantly they ensure your child’s safety.
As far as these spywares are concerned, the person installing the software may or may not inform the person who is supposed to be monitored. For this purpose, the app mostly works in a stealth mode, which hides the app from the phone; something preferred by parents and cyber criminals!
If we set aside the “Parental Monitoring” claim of these apps, this technology could definitely create a lot of havoc for people, that is why it is considered as one of the most sought after and strong software. Companies promote these software easily by focusing on the parents who wish to monitor their kids. This is quite a marketing gimmick and a clear example of how technology can be abused and used in a totally demeaning way!
For instance, this app could easily be installed in your spouse or boyfriend’s cell phone, and it will help to let the cat out of the bag. However, the transparency of these apps and how much legal it is to use these, is still a big question!
However there are certain episodes which reveal that these apps are not considered legal, for example a former U.S Sheriff was sentenced because he used a similar app on his wife’s PC without her permission to spy her. Getting the other person’s permission would still save you from some risks, but don’t think getting the permission would be an easy task! Nobody likes getting monitored..
How To Protect Your Device From Spyware
We have compiled a list of best ways that can help you to protect your system from spyware. Following are the points:
- iPhones need to be Jailbroken before a spyware could be installed on it. Hence the chances of a spyware installed on your iPhone would be meager if it holds the authentic Apple Warranty. Similarly, if you doubt that your iPhone has undergone the Jailbreak process, and there might be a spy app on it, then all you need to is restore your iOS and the Jailbreak as well as Spyware would get removed.
- Android smartphones are much more vulnerable when it comes to spy software because Android Operating System is an open source and there are numerous apps for this device.
- It is recommended to install an antivirus and anti-spy program in all your devices. Prevention is better than care!!
- Always avoid clicking on pop-up ads or spammy links that come either in a spam mail or a web browser. It’s best to keep away from temptation of clicking them since you don’t know their source.
- Put up a lock code on all your devices; smartphones, laptops, tablets and even WiFi network.
- Never leave your devices unattended, especially in public places. Anyone with easy access to your device can put up apps or steal your data.
- If you have noticed that your phone has been behaving in an extreme way, for example, battery drainage, strange icons, pop up ads, high data bills, then your cell phone must have a spy program installed in it.
- If you are one of those who want to install a spyware in somebody’s smartphone, make sure you know all the possible risks and consequences involved. Don’t forget the legal factors as well. It’s always good to talk away any matters you have with the concerned person rather than spying their cell phone.